Re: Help needed with elementary mural

---------

From: M Susan Manning (msusanm_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 09:42:13 PST

I was never able to handle more than six kids if that age working together on an
acrylic mural.

Base coating the background and foreground in first helped to speed up the
process. This was the job for the younger ones, putting the taller ones up high
if it is a wall mural. (Start at top, paint drips are assured.) After that was
dry, their individual contributions were sketched in pencil, adjacent area
masked off with paper, (drips again) and started.

 I hope you are doing panels on the ground, but if not...kids can fall off
stools and ladders.

I used to divide the mural into theme areas (Air, ground, water, underground,
underwater) and divide their practice paper into large, medium and small to get
variety in composition.

Sometimes I used airbrush, so paint went a long way. Tinting white paint
produces pastels, but does help out the finished product, since kids tend to use
such saturated colors. (I agree that the rest of the class needs an involving
project, or it would help to have another grown up body there. )