Re: Keep the report an a famous artist out of the classroom?

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 08:25:40 PST

Kathleen Shilson wrote:

> What is this? "develop their presentation skills..master presenters"..
> is your area of expertise- communications? or is it the teaching of art?

What is art if not communication? Oral presentations are just another
form. I admire and applaud Sharon for getting her wee ones to research
and present to their peers. As I try to get across to my HS students,
art is not just production. It encompasses a variety of disciplines.
Don't professional artists talk about their work and influences with
their peers? Don't they write in journals, publish articles, speak at
their gallery openings, at conferences, on TV and radio?

> should we as art teachers leave this to the classroom teacher?

I leave NOTHING to my students' past or present teachers. If I want
them to write a short essay, I show them how. If they have to do some
research, I show them how to use the Internet and library resources
efficiently. We are _teachers_, period.

Maggie

---