Re: Purchasing student work

---------

From: croberts (croberts_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 11 2002 - 20:55:43 PST

When my students do their work, it is theirs "for the taking" and for their
portfolios...and I encourage them to take all of their artwork with
them...and keep it...for posterity...even if they're not going on with their
art. Sometimes they "donate" it to me to use for examples in my classes.

Also, my students sell a lot of their work and they don't give it away.
They get $50 to do a pencil or charcoal portrait...and more if it's a
painting...and they keep that money.

Now I do ask for contributions of art work from my students. This semester,
each student (at least my more advanced students) has to donate at least one
painting for our school auction which will probably be held next fall. I
mat and frame these and I am trying to prepare early for this. This is
something that is expected from the students and has been done for several
years. Most of my students are happy to do this...and if they want to keep
it, we tell them to have their parents come and bid on it. The money goes
to the school. Also, they paint large murals to be hung around the school.

Also...we will have a festival...we call it "Chalk on the Walk" and it will
be held next month (April) in our courtyard. All day long, we (the three
art teachers) take our classes out and they draw LARGE flowers on all the
sidewalks, using colored chalk. Then in the evening, we have entertainment,
food, and art work on display for the students, their families, and the
community. If the students get offers for any their work, they get to keep
that money.

If I do something for someone here at school...I either charge for it or
trade it out for something from that person. Now this is only in my school
that I do this. I sell my artwork outright...outside of school.

Once, I traded out some artwork for "no ball game duty" for two years...I
got the better end of that deal...because it only took me a little bit of
time over a weekend to do the art. Sometimes I trade art for classroom
equipment. I got six heavy duty easels for my classroom doing this (and
come to think of it, I still owe that teacher some paintings) I have found
out that doing this...REALLY helps me in the long run!!!
Carolyn

Carolyn Roberts
Kinston High School
Kinston, NC
croberts@coastalnet.com
http://cyber.lenoir.k12.nc.us/khs/croberts/roberts_art_pages.html School web
page
http://cyber.lenoir.k12.nc.us/khs/croberts/roberts2.html Computer Art
Lessons

> I have a situation that I am a bit confused about how to handle. I
thought
> I would ask all the high school teachers on the list because perhaps some
of
> you had experience with this. My Printmaking class did some incredible
> finger printed portraits of the faculty a la Chuck Close. I finally got
> them matted and hung today. Apparently the teachers in the building are
so
> excited and want to buy the work. I don't know how to handle this.
>I want to handle
> this professionally and fairly but I'm not sure what to do. Do you have
any
> advice for me?
> Marian

---