Re: Re: Purchasing student work

---------

From: Stäcy & Paul (themuralists_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 11 2002 - 20:04:42 PST

I had a similar problem with this idea while I was in college. The College
thought it had the right to not only keep my work, but sell it or buy it
without my concent. I fought the administration, got a professor demoted for
it, got the rules changed and after 4 years it was finally returned.
Remember that although some of these students could care less about actually
becoming an artist and using this work in their future portfolios, others
may, as I know I certainly did. And if it's good enough that someone wants
to buy it, it's good enough to go in their portfolio. Although the school
provided the materials it did not provide the creativity or originality of
the peice. If you really want to be fair to the student, let them decide
the price of the piece(with a little guidance), but minus the cost of the
supplies provided by the school.{this would be a great opportunity for them
to learn the buisness side of art in the real world.) AFter all this was
not a project originally set up as a fundraiser and I find it unfair to
unnecessarily tax an artist -whatever age, for their own work. I don't mean
to be contradictory to raising money for the art department, however, I
believe that taking more than what the actual supplies of the material used
cost would be opportunistic.

Eli