Purchasing student work

---------

From: Marian Colman (Colmans1_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 11 2002 - 16:01:29 PST

I have a situation that I am a bit confused about how to handle. I thought
I would ask all the high school teachers on the list because perhaps some of
you had experience with this. My Printmaking class did some incredible
finger printed portraits of the faculty a la Chuck Close. I finally got
them matted and hung today. Apparently the teachers in the building are so
excited and want to buy the work. I don't know how to handle this.
Considering that the students used school materials to create these
portraits, is it okay to allow them to sell them to the teachers? If so,
should the students get all the money, part of the money or should the art
dept. get all the money or part of the money to buy more materials? Or
should the students give the portraits to the teachers? I want to handle
this professionally and fairly but I'm not sure what to do. Do you have any
advice for me?
Marian

---