Re: my version of the Agam fan fold project

---------

From: tiffany glass (tglass_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 11 2002 - 13:19:27 PST

I found this Yaacov Agam "fan fold" artwork online:

http://www.artra.net/art/index.html

Tiffany Glass ( tglass@hoover.k12.al.us )
Greystone Elementary School
Hoover, Alabama
35242
205.439.3200

Visit us at www.hoover.k12.al.us/gses/index.html

>>> ilarson@mail.norridge80.org 03/08/02 02:09PM >>>
Deborah,
here is the best I could explain in text, I wish I could *show* you how. At
the end of the instructions is another explanation off the internet. Hope
this is understandable. try making one and let me know how it goes!

I would say the age groups would be 4th grade on up, My third graders
needed a lot of help.
cut 1.5" by 12 strips of tagboard to use as a measuring guide, you will
need them for the fan folded paper and for the 2 colored drawings.

Each project will include: two 12 by 9 sheets of drawing paper (for one
warm, one cool) a 12 by 18 sheet of drawing paper to fold a fan out of, a
12 by 18 sheet of construction paper to mount the fan folded image onto for
display.

Step one, students make 2 drawings.
Markers are actually the best material to do this with, we tried crayons
and watercolor too, but markers turned out the best.
each student does 2 drawings, in PORTRAIT FORMAT!! one warm and one cool,
make sure to fill in the whole background. I told the classes that they
could use black on either one, and outlining their pictures with black
marker makes them show up very well.

Step two, each student makes a fan folded paper.
give each student a tagboard strip, (time to EMPHASIZE craftsmanship) and
marks parallel lines spaced at 1.5" this works best if they press pretty
hard with a ball point pen, pencils just aren't the same, as they don't
'score' the paper to help with a sharp precise fold. If they have pressed
hard, the paper will practically fold itself on the lines.

Step three, cut the two pictures into strips.
again use the tagboard strips for measurement, (don't fold, just cut on the
lines)

Step four, glue the strips in order, but alternating pictures, onto the fan
folded paper. one thin line of glue is plenty per strip. re fold the fan:
so you end up with a bunch of mountains, not valleys ^^^^^^ not VVVVV ( you
want the outer edges to have contact with the mounting paper, this is nice
but not *crucial*)

Step five mount the whole thing on the colored construction paper, you'll
have a margin of about 2 to3 inches on the left and right.

(internet article)
Folded Paper Op Art

The artist Yaacov Agam developed a technique of Kinetic/Optical painting in
the early 1960's, in which a transformable optical illusion is created by
the movement of the viewer. As the viewer walks from one side to the other
side of the painting, the image shifts from the composition of one image to
the other. The following activity will allow students to try a simplified
version of Agam's kinetic/optical technique.

Have the students fold a piece of paper so that it has accordion pleats.
The students should use folds that are 1 inch wide parallel folds. On two
other separate pieces of paper, have the students draw two different
drawings using geometric shapes. One drawing should use only straight lines
and the other use only curved lines. Now have the students divide and cut
the drawings into strips just slightly smaller than 1 inch. Place the
strips from the curved line drawing on the left side of the folded paper
and glue the strips down. Then place the strips from the straight line
drawing on the right side of the folds on the folded paper and glue in place.

Have the students observe the optical illusion that takes place as you move
from the left side of the folded paper to the right side of the folded
paper. There is an interesting transition from the curved drawing which can
be only viewed only from the left side and the straight line drawing which
can only be viewed from the right side.

Photographic images cut into 1 inch strips can be substituted for the
geometric design drawings. Or have the students use an image from popular
culture such as a cartoon character or advertising, so the work is a Pop
Optical Artwork.