Re: Drawing with Children -IMHO

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 10 2002 - 17:50:09 PST

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526

>From: Stephen Wood <steve@tfwoodandson.co.uk>
> I read your emails with enthusiasm but rarely post. Have any of you heard of
> the book Drawing with Children by Mona Brookes. It supposed to centre
> around using basic shapes to help children achieve "realistic" style
> drawings. I myself don't like the of it, but my wife has a bee in her bonnet
> about finding out more and has asked me to ask you lot. Anyway, "slate" it
> or salute it, let me know, it might save me 20 bucks.
> Steve U.K.
*****************

Hi. I teach middle school and find her ideas to be worthwhile. I think, for
me, it's been important to have "Drawing for Older Children and Teens" to be
a much-thumbed-through book on my art book shelves along with many others.
As no book has been my bible, all my ideas, philosophies, and projects come
from so many facets including my own twists to learned things.

Being a teacher of middle school art, I find this is generally the stage
when students fear as well as "want to" learn realistic drawing. In many of
my students' cases, this will be the last opportunity to learn how to draw
realistically. Ms. Brooks has some excellent ideas on this subject.

I think this book should be one of those stapes (for teaching older kids) to
refer to when you are doing your planning. I'd suggest you buy it and read
it...if for no other reason than you are an art teacher and you should be
familiar with what she has to say...especially when so many other art
teachers talk about it....then you can make up your own mind.
Toodles....Bunki

---