Re: Drawing with Children - Mona Brookes

---------

From: linda eastman (lindacharlie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 09 2002 - 03:17:37 PST

there are two mona brookes books: the one you mentioned and "Drawing with
Older Children and Adults." i've used "Drawing with Children" for a few of
the lessons. they are a bit like "recipes" if you don't follow through with
the whole course, but you can vary them to provide for more creative
outcomes and the children's' products are always unique from each other. i
would say the lessons help younger children to gain confidence in their
creative ability because, no matter how they interpret the instructions,
their work looks like what they set out to draw. i've done her bird lesson
often, sometimes with markers for the bird and branch, then tissue collage
for the tree leaves and sky. sometimes we add the lion ala rousseau's jungle
pictures. sometimes we do the whole exercise in tempera or oil crayons.

this leads me to comment on the thread about being bored with the same
lessons done over and over. i don't find this to be true. i think, with a
well-designed lesson that provides for choices, the students' own creativity
comes through and their resulting products provide the excitement.

back to mona, i've thumbed through the "older children" book and the
examples look more realistic (shading, etc.) than the symbolic-looking
younger ones. but again, like betty edwards' "Drawing on the Right Side of
the Brain," i think you would need to spend a lot of time following through
with her techniques and perhaps assigning homework in order to accomplish
the goals of realistic drawing. i haven't figured out how to do that in 45
min/week.

linda in michigan

---