Re: Japanese Daruma dolls

---------

BibelotsOutpost_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sat Mar 09 2002 - 08:04:16 PST

The doll is based on the Bodhidharma, who brought the Zen school of
Bhuddism from India to China.
Here is one website with pictures and info:

 <A HREF="http://www.1stchoicejapan.com/english/culture/daruma/about.phtml">1stchoicejapan.com - daruma doll</A>

http://www.1stchoicejapan.com/english/culture/daruma/about.phtml

and two books I used are Floating Lanterns and Golden Shrines -
Celebrating Japanese Festivals by Rena Krasno, and
Traditional Crafts from Japan, by Florence Temko.
Deborah
In a message dated 03/09/02 8:33:15 Central Standard Time,
sbennett@erinet.com writes:

> Do the dolls have religious significance? Do you have an interesting site
> for more background info on the history design etc?

---