Sax Rep just visited us!!!

---------

From: linda (lwoods_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 09 2002 - 07:03:45 PST

We had so much fun trying out all the goodies that Joe Collatta brought us
to try. I was particularly impressed with Crayola's new construction
paper crayons. The colors were really rich and took other media over them
quite well, particularly crayola's gel pens and markers. Nice contrast
between the markers and the crayon colors. These crayons layer
beautifully, but don't smear like oil pastels. We used them on black
paper and the white under provided beautiful yellows and light colors.
Hand pressure changed the values quite readily. THey seem like they will
last longer than an oil pastel. There is, however NO BLACK in these
crayon sets, so you would have to either use a black craypas or something
like that. I suggest you get some soon to try before you order for fall.
ALso, Sax has come out with a new premixed tempera that doesn't crack when
you fold the paper. The colors were very rich. BEAUTIFUL RED!! These
other mediums...the gel pens, the crayola markers, colored pencils, and so
on looked great on them. The final finish to these paints when they dry
resembles an acrylic. I am going to test them on Monday to see if they
would work for tempera batik. (with the paint acting as a resist.) He
also let us try some chinese white bristle brushes that worked very nicely
and are very cheap in the set. THey seem like they would hold up very
well. No rounds or points in this set, though. Well, that's my Sax
playtime report. Thanks to Joe!

---