Re: Photography in the classroom

---------

From: Susan Holland (Susan_Holland_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 09 2002 - 04:38:53 PST

I am trying to do a photography unit with my fourth graders right now. The
classes get to go to a photography exhibit in a couple of weeks. My intro was
going to be to have them work with the blue sun print paper-- of course it has
been cloudy every day! I have four 35 mm cameras- cheap ones that are just
one step above disposable. My first assignment with cameras was to photograph
the art elements. We went outside and looked for subjects that strongly
suggested one of the elements. The teams of students were supposed to be
keeping a log of who took each picture, what the subject was and which element
of art was represented. My classes are pretty small, so going outside was
manageable. I just did this with one class yesterday, so I'm excited to get
the film developed to see what they managed to do. We'll have to evaluate the
results, decide what makes a good photo and see if they can come up with a list
of photography tips. Then we'll go to the museum and see if they get some new
ideas about what makes a good photograph. The next part of my unit focuses on
Gordon Parks and I am going to assign students to photograph something that
fits in with the types of photography he is known for- documentary photos,
fashion photography, etc. And last of all we have an opportunity to
participate in a youth photo competition photographing "Latino Life in Central
Texas" so we'll see how it goes.

Susan Holland
susan_holland@teachnet.edb.utexas.edu

---