Puppet Heads(Holly)

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Fri Mar 08 2002 - 03:59:02 PST

In a message dated 03/08/2002 6:05:14 AM Eastern Standard Time,
skygeoff@comcast.net writes:

> I've made puppet heads by rolling up a tube of newspaper and then rolling
> one end of the narrow cylinder up to form a head. Then tape it in place
> with masking tape. Cut off the long cylinder to form a neck. Paper mache,
> paint and then decorate with yarn, eyes, etc.

This is in leu of my current problem with the Model Magic I had been using
for puppet heads:
This morning- I should say at 4:30 this morning, I bolted out of bed with
another idea of how to create puppet heads! It suddenly came to me that I
seen a workshop at our state conference years and years ago. This "puppet
lady" did puppets in the likeness of famous artists. She used a styro ball
as a base and soaked cotton balls in papier mache paste- Ross or Pritte.
This "mush" she used to sculpture the features- very smooth and easy to use.
I also rememeber opening School Arts or Arts and Activity Magazine a couple
of years ago and finding her and her lesson there.

So, my solution is to use this idea. I'm sharing it with all of you, too. I
think she also put a layar of paper bag soaked in papier mache paste on top,
but at my age -LOL- (I only look young- LOL) my memory fails me. Now, Holly
on LI would know 'cause she took the workshop, too. Holly, are you there?
Am I giving the correct info? Did she use a layar of brown bags dipped in
the paste on top?
Now, if only these ideas wouldn't come to me at 4:00 in the morning- talk
about laying in bed at night thinking about projects!
Susan on Long Island

---