Covering yourself about an incident......

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 20:19:16 PST

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526
From: Rick <rlarson@tls.net>
Roberta, Also document the incident and keep a copy. Betsy
*****************
Today I saw a fourth grade student showing his scissors to other students.

Roberta...Great advice....but better than THAT, document the incident (with
EVERY detail) with cc: to the principal, secretary, counselor, and any other
adult that might have been around. When one of these people knows the OTHER
people know, things start to happen. If you don't get those copies out
there, usually things die down. I would hold out one carbon copy to send to
the superintendent IF nothing happens (and I would mention that fact to
administration). Just the fact that you're holding that copy in your files
really worries the other copy holders and puts them on their toes.

I had a student start screaming and crying out of the blue about suicide and
went bonkers (parental pressure) in my class several years ago. I called the
emergency school # and NO ONE...Principal, VP, or counselor...came to my
aid. I documented that incident and sent a copy to 8 people...including the
secretaries who were also involved. I've never SEEN so many adults argue as
to who was supposed to be responsible and come to my room immediately to
help. What an eye-opener it was for the administration/office. They
organized an aid "tree" right then and there so admins./counseling would
know who was responsible if someone else wasn't on duty.

You really need to CYA on this with documentation because it CAN come back
to haunt you if something happens in the future. Toodles.....Bunki

---