tough cookie

---------

From: Jayna Huffines (jayna_99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 18:42:38 PST

Hey guys-
I got a nice compliment today! Our Special Ed
department head told me that a parent told her that
her 6th grade son liked art for the first time. He has
little confidence in art, but enjoys my class because
my expectations are clear and he likes the structure.
He always "knows what he is supposed to do". This made
my day; I have always thought of this kid as a tough
cookie. He loves attention, even if it is negative. He
spends alot of time in the assistant principal's
office and seems to be rather proud of it. I can't say
that I have ever seen evidence that art is the place
to be for troubled kids- this is the first real sign
for me. I like knowing that my class can provide a
creative outlet for kids who are so used to getting
negative attention.

Jayna