Re: AP Studio question/combining classes -long

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 18:10:09 PST

> Is it possible to combine students:
> add photo kids in to round out the numbers?
> can they submit their entire portfolio using photography (for all the sections
> of
> a 2D Design portfolio)???

NO
There is no AP Photo portfolio
There is Drawing, 2-d design and 3-d design. The requirements are specific.
Photo can be used to fulfill the Concentration part of the portfolio, but
the quality and breadth needs to show other avenues of expression.

I have students applying to art schools all over the country. The schools
want to see observational drawing. They want to see an understanding of
form and value though many media.

No matter what the student's interest or intention, art schools all have
foundation programs that include drawing, 2-D & 3-d design. perhaps color
theory. Photo, or any other avenue, comes after the foundation year.

Unless you have outstanding photo students who would benefit from a program
offered at a place like RIT or Brooks -- there is no justification for an
AP Photo portfolio.

I would be very sad to see that the AP program get this specific. Giving
credit for a specialty on the high school level???? (I have big enough
problems accepting the AP Studio credit in the first place. )

I wonder where this idea came from that Photo could fulfill the requirements
for AP studio?
Patty

---