Re: Carving Sandstone

---------

From: linda eastman (lindacharlie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 04:31:03 PST

i've never used sandstone but use soapstone with 5th graders. we use jewelry
files and safety glasses to make zuni "fetishes." soapstone and alabaster
are byproducts of the mining of gypsum which is used in the production of
sheetrock. there are manufacturers along the eastern shore of michigan's
lower penninsula that toss the stuff in large scrap piles....free pickings!
incidentally, sopastone is a natural ceramic material that can be fired in
the kiln to harden it.
linda in michigan

>> A teacher at a nearby school mentioned that she knew of a place to get
>> sandstone. Does anyone have experience carving sandstone? What age
>> group would you use this with? What kind of tools would you need?
>>
>> Candice

---