Re: classroom artist reports

---------

From: Michelle H. Harrell (michelle_h_harrell_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 15:49:07 PST

I completely agree with Linda that making them talk in front of other
classmates helps them overcome that stage fright. For the past couple of
years, I have done "artist in the spotlight" seminars at the beginning of
almost every period for about 4-5 weeks. The students peer assess each
other for content and delivery (and learn a great deal of info while they do
it). They don't want to do it at the beginning but I've students to return
and say they feel more comfortable presenting in other classes because of
that experience. I believe that our critiques at the end of the semester
have better dialogue because of these classroom artist reports.

By the way, I have lots of kids who "come to the artroom to have fun" but
are pleasantly surprised by the challenges they receive with written
reports, presentations, sketchbook homework, and... do I dare say it?...
accountability. A hard class can still be fun.
Michelle Harrell