Re: AP Studio question/combining classes -long

---------

MarshArt_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 14:26:07 PST

In a message dated 3/6/02 9:51:47 AM Eastern Standard Time, Bicyclken@aol.com
writes:

> Is it possible to combine students:
> add photo kids in to round out the numbers?
> can they submit their entire portfolio using photography (for all
> the sections of
> a 2D Design portfolio)???

I might as well put my two cents in this because I have had a BAD experience
about this myself. I have even asked Ken Schwab's advice about AP photography
portfolios.

My AP class IS combined with Art3. I usually have about 5 kids submit
portfolios. At the beginning of the year the guidance counselor (former art
teacher) "slings" a bunch of kids (15) into my AP program. As a result, more
than half drop out. One kid she gave me wanted to do an entire photography
portfolio, which is acceptable to submit. The counselor told me that she has
had kids with high AP scores in this medium. I stupidly said "yes." (drats)!

The "lazy" kid shot a great roll of film in one weekend, slapped the photo
portfolio together and then slept with her head on the desk for 2 quarters.
The "guidance counselor" told me that the same thing happened to her with her
"photo" AP's a few years ago but she didn't mind the sleeping beauties in
class. Well, this mama has had enough of the R & R. I wrestled with this kid
for 2 quarters and tried to get her to drop. Didn't happen. So I told her
that only her concentration can be photos. Now she is working her brains out
;) to get the rest of the portfolio done.

The moral of the story is I will NEVER let another kid do an entire AP in
photography (live and learn)! It is hard enough to teach a combined class and
keep these kids working consistantly. This kid's art is mediocre to begin
with, so she may not pass (which is all right with me, I'm ashamed to say). I
now have more stringent requirements (thanks to Ken) so these babies will not
slip into my AP unless they agree to work their buns off. And, the guidance
counselor will NOT pick and choose for me. Grrrrrr!

Whew! Thanks for letting me vent. You guys keep me sane.

Marsha

---