Baby Dinosaurs -- Ceramics

---------

From: Candice G. Williams (pandy_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 12:54:20 PST

Adult dinosaurs are trickier to stand up and their longer proportions lack
stability, I decided (based on a book one of my kindergarteners had) to
make baby dinosaurs.

My K students first make pinch pots as eggs. Then they made a cylinder
shape (the body) using their finger to hollow the cylinder. After they
set this in the pot, they poked through the bottom of the pot to let the
air pass through. They added coil arms and a head with the remaining
clay. Winged creatures could also rest their wings on the pot for
stability. Tails could wrap along the shell.

The kids then took off with creating their own newly discovered dinosaur.
I had to go back and check the bottoms to make sure they weren't too
thick, but overall it was a successful lesson.

Candice

---