classroom artist reports

---------

From: Fields, Linda (fieldsl_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 09:27:54 PST

Wayne wrote, "but, to have the kids talk to
the class.. is very frightful. I would keep that (giving a speech) to the
classroom teacher. Kids come to the artroom to relax and to have fun"

I can't remember what age group we're talking about here, but so what if
it"s "very frightful?" Lots of things in life are until we get used to doing
them. In my high school seniors are required to do research on a career,
shadow a mentor for 20 hours, and then do a stand-up presentation before an
audience of judges. This is a requirement for graduation. Yes, it scares
some, but how will they survive in the real world if they can't communicate
to a group? As an art teacher, I feel like I am doing my bit toward their
total development if I help them overcome their stage fright in this way.
Linda in NC

---