Re: Bomb threats

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 07:09:44 PST

BluesTruth@aol.com wrote:

> Carolyn
> We also had a bomb threat a few weeks ago too. It was mass
> pandemonium... Police, fire dept, news reporters, etc, running all
> over the place, but the conclusion was that it was a prank call. I
> sure wish some of these morons would get a life. Glad you caught the
> kids that threatened your school.

How exciting that must have been for the caller! To be able to bring a
whole school and part of a city to a standstill.

We stopped bowing to threats several years ago after a series of them
emptied our school several times. When a call is made after hours, the
students are met at one door and their bags and persons searched (the
building and lockers have already been searched). There are no passes
of any sort the whole day; tough break if you gotta "go." No one is
allowed to leave the campus.

If a threat is made during school hours, the police, admin and
custodians begin searching the building while the teachers search their
classrooms. Students are forced to stay in that class 'til the coast is
clear, so they might be stuck in a class for three hours.

These tactics have GREATLY reduced the threats we used to get; we get at
most one a year once they see we won't let them interrupt school.

Maggiep

---