Glazing Islamic Designs on pre-glazed tile??

---------

From: Mark Alexander (markcalexander_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 08:19:39 PST

I am doing an Islamic Design unit with my seventh grade. I've had a local artist show us his pictures of Islamic designs and architecture from Morrocco. They've made intricate designs with rulers and compasses, and are coloring them in with crayons, markers, and colored pencils. Next I wanted to use up a box of 6"square ceramic tiles that were donated. I'm want to transfer the designs to the tiles, then glaze and fire them.

My questions are:

      Compass points won't work on the tile. Any suggestions for transferring the designs?

      How do I get glaze to stick to the commercial glazed tile?

      How do I load our small (18" cube Alpine) kiln with 35 or more 6" tiles, with very limited shelf space?

All your suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Mark