Re: elem student worry

---------

Holly112_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Wed Mar 06 2002 - 20:19:51 PST

Rdunkelart@aol.com writes:

> Today I saw a fourth grade student showing his scissors to other students.
> asked
> him to bring them to me and I read this on them "I'll kill you" and then
> what
> I think
> was his name written after that. I asked him what he meant by this and he
> said
> "I was being satanic to myself". I put this in an envelope and wrote the
> counselor
> a note and she will investigate further. This child was a drug baby and is
> now
> being raised by wonderful grandparents. Used to be extremely hyper but with
> ridilin has calmed down.- he has always been a worry Anyone else with like
> expereinces> Roberta

Dear Roberta,

You did the right thing by not ignoring the situation. Maybe his name was on
his scissors as a means of identification BEFORE "I'll kill you" was written,
or maybe he's telling the truth, or maybe its just a way to get attention,
but whatever the intent was, it needs to be fully investigated. My guess is
he wanted to be caught. Keep in touch with the counselor and observe the boy
when he's in your class. Let us know how it all works out.

Holly :0)

---