Bomb threats

---------

From: croberts (croberts_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 06 2002 - 15:23:56 PST

Well...we won one today!

Yesterday morning...in FREEZING weather, someone called in a bomb threat and
everyone was evacuated for about 30 minutes. Many students had their
jackets in their lockers...therefore, they were outside in the cold without
anything to keep them warm.

Yesterday afternoon...we had another bomb threat call...and again we all
stood in the cold for about 20 minutes or so.

Well...this morning, it happened again...about the same time the first call
came in yesterday. Again, we all stood outside for about 20 minutes in the
cold.

Well...this afternoon, during change of classes, we were advised to quickly
get out students out of the halls and into the classrooms...that we had
another bomb threat call. We got the students in the rooms...waited...but
didn't get the call to evacuate the building.

Found out during our staff meeting after school...that the sheriff's
department caught the young man, arrested him and took him to jail.

He's a ninth grade student at our school. He had stolen a cell phone
yesterday morning from another student's purse and was using it to make the
calls.Earlier this year, he set fire to the trashcan in one of the
bathrooms.

He will certainly suffer for his actions this week. He will probably be
expelled forever from school...and may serve a jail sentence.

So many times, they are unable to find out who does these things. I'm glad
we were lucky this time. Hopefully, this will be a good warning for any
others who may decide to try this. As the weather warms...we begin getting
more and more of these calls.

Carolyn Roberts
Kinston NC

---