Re: artsednet digest: March 05, 2002

---------

From: Kevan Nitzberg (knitzber_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 06 2002 - 04:25:57 PST

on 3/6/02 2:00 AM, ArtsEdNet Talk digest at artsednet@lists.pub.getty.edu
wrote:

> Subject: ideas for oil pastels
> From: "Foell, Marlyn@RHS" <FoellM@brevard.k12.fl.us>
> Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 13:39:32 -0500
>
> I'm counting on you guys and gals. I have been blessed with an incredible
> abundance of oil pastels. Need some really good ideas for projects for
> basic drawing and 2-d classes. High school. Brain dead this time of year.
> Thanks.
>
> Marlyn in Florida where we had freeze warnings last night--in MARCH!!!
> Art Dept.
> RHS--Contributing Excellence to Our Community

I have always enjoyed the feel of oil pastels and the almost painterly
qualities that they have. Particularly since painting has always been my
particular area of concentration. As a result, I have tried to use them in
a number of different drawing assignments. Included in those have been
basic color chart creations emphasizing the blending of colors in order to
see the relationships between them, warm and cool color compositions dealing
with the emphasis of communicating specific aspects of the subject choice,
surrealistic perspective drawings that have allowed students to reshape the
physical space of the classroom or create imaginary landscapes, mood
portraits, still life compositions, studying painting masterworks using oil
pastels, preliminary sketching for mural compositions and sculptures, etc.
The list is quite endless.

Kevan Nitzberg

---