Re: Teaching portraiture

---------

From: Jerry Vilenski (jvilensk_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 05 2002 - 20:51:42 PST

I have a portrait project that I used to teach to 2nd or 3rd graders years ago that might be of interest to you. First, I begin with a piece of 12x18 white drawing paper and a light drawing pencil. Each student must first practice drawing ovals on the back of their paper before going on to the front with a large "good" oval. I teach ovals by telling students that drawing ovals is an arm action, not a wrist and finger action, and demonstrate how to make an oval by first making it in the air, pencil poised just above the paper, then touching the pencil down when it feels comfortable to them. After a good oval is on the front of the paper, I have the kids place ears on the drawing first. Once those are placed, drawing a light line across
from ear tip to ear tip locates the eyebrows. A line from bottom to bottom locates the bottom of the nose. Eyes and mouth are placed one finger's width from the eyebrows and nose, respectively. I usually help them draw hair, or with older kids, have the kid across from them draw hair. Add neck and shoulders, then clothes, and you have it licked! I usually have kids color them with pastels, because chalk can be gently blended and mixed for different skin colors. Hope this helps.

Jerry

---