Re: another elementary level batik method

---------

From: Rodney (rboville_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 05 2002 - 11:40:45 PST

Another batik technique that we use at the elementary level is an "alum
paste". Simply apply the paste from sqeeze bottles, allow to dry and paint.
The effects are very nice. The recipe is 1 cup flour, 1 cup water and 4 tsp.
alum. If the mix is too thick for the bottle nozzle you may have to adjust
and add a little water, shake up and try it. Mount fabric over a heavy pece
of cardboard covered with plastic. After drawing on the fabric with the
paste, allow to dry. When dry, paint on tempra, acrylic, dye etc. Repeat
steps as desired. When complete, allow to dry, crumble the clothe and the
paste will crumble as well. Pick off the remainder of the paste. Good luck,
Barbara in Green Bay.

---