after school art groups

---------

From: Christene Sandeson (c.sandeson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 05 2002 - 05:11:41 PST

Hi

in my rural high school of about 300 students, the art group is
pretty much a non event. Each week I advertise on the PA that new
students are welcome and that it is a great opportunity to work on
personal artistic projects or for art students to obtain extra help
(which many of my HS students are in need of). I have two "guys" that
show up and chat, do a bit of sketching on their spiderman-type
cartoons, and one girl who is somewhat developmentally challenged,
but who likes to draw tiny dragons. At this time I usually pull out
one or two 4 * 8" murals (on fabric) and invite participation, and I
had started the girl on a papier mache project. She also might enjoy
the low relief carving into plaster that the 10's have just finished.
Last thursday I did a clean up of our paints while the guys chatted
and teased each other, and the girl didn't show up.

Like most teachers, I am tired at the end of a school day, but want
to offer an opportunity for students if they wish to take it. I have
not planned art group lessons because I would like to see the
initiative come from them.

Am I wrong in thinking this way? What motivators have others used with success.

christene in nova scotia

---