Digital image and camera information

---------

From: croberts (croberts_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 04 2002 - 17:42:49 PST

Here are some hints and tips for digital imaging and digital cameras...if
you're interested.

If you want 8x10" pictures that look like prints from a 35mm negative,
you'll need to use at least a 3 megapixel camera.

For 4x6" pictures, you need a 2 megapixel camera.

For quality images, you'll need to set your camera for the highest quality
setting. Sony Mavica's allow you to do this...and so do some of the others.
You do not get as many images on a disk, but disks are very inexpensive.

If you plan to use the images on the internet or computer only, you can set
your camera for a lower quality setting and they will look good.

Use premium grade photo paper...either glossy or matte, depending on your
preference. I like the look of the glossy paper. Also, look for the
whiteness of the paper for prints that are brilliant and bright looking.
Best photo paper is the 65 lb paper or higher.

Using flash will help fill in shadowy areas on sunny days.

Take your pictures in JPEG format, but when you download them to your
computer, save them in the TIFF format on your hard drive. JPEG is a
compressed image and everytime you change and resave a JPEG image, you are
losing image quality. This doesn't happen with the TIFF format...however,
it is a much larger file and takes up more room on your hard drive. Always
save the original image without making any changes...in the event, you have
to go back and edit the image several times.

I like using Paint Shop Pro and PhotoShop...but I REALLY like Microsoft
Picture It! Publishing 2001 to use to download and save my images to my hard
drive.

My picture image quality has improved so much since I learned the above
tips.
Carolyn

Carolyn Roberts
Kinston High School