Re: [ArtsEducators] DBAE?

---------

From: Sharon Henneborn (heneborn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 04 2002 - 16:36:20 PST

I posed your question about the creator of DBAE to the one who knows!
Sharon and Lisa Brunick
The name "discipline based art education" was created by the members
of the Getty Institute for Art Education, but the concept was not.

Getty, under the direction of Randy Williams and Lanni Duke decided to
fund and professionally develop quality visual art programs. First,
they had to determine what defined "Quality." They hired the Rand
Corporation, at very great cost, to research the field and come up
with criteria. The result was a comprehensive art program which
included the integration of aesthetics (philosophy of art), criticism,
art history and studio performance. This is simplistic. (Rand study,
as I remember, filled three documents. At one time, early on, many of
us in the NAEA leadership (I was then National Elementary Division
Director) considered changing it to "Comprehensive Art Education
Program" but changed our minds when we considered the vast publicity
and wide dissemination of the DBAE name (particularly to
superintendents and school board members). That's the story in a
nutshell.

I will be happy to answer any more specific questions. I was there
from the very beginning when Lanni came to an NAEA convention to
discuss her ideas with us.

Rick Lasher
Art Educators of New Jersey

---