Re: observation nightmares

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 03 2002 - 06:56:10 PST

What a blessing to be in a school where the building's principal and the
superintendent believe and have confidence that you the art teacher are the
professional. The one suited for the job, and expect you to run your
program with little interference!

That alone seems to warrant a reason to tenure and stay!

I only fear that in a few years when they both retire, we could get some
real ding-dong's! Just glad this is my tenuring year, and have already
found out I'm renewed for next year!

I had a ding dong once in another system...back in the Madeline Hunter era
for whose criteria my evaluating supervisor used to try and evaluate the
arts. That whole preparatory set and objectives thing that works well for
left brained convergent thinking processes but wholly ill-prepares the
individual to understand and evaluate your divergent higher order right
brained activities and teaching strategies. As a result of his
incompetence, I had been forced to weekly give him upwards to eight computer
typed pages that described everything I was doing. In essence, he had
become a student of mine for whom I was giving private lessons. Only
difference is...my freshman were getting it!

Turned out they now have had about 10 art teachers in the past 19 years,
having had no intention to tenure an art teacher in their system. From day
one, they initiate a plan of attack that will justify the letting go of that
individual so that they never have to tenure....never have to pay the salary
of someone experienced or on the regular staff pay scale. It took quite a
few years to get over it, and realize it was not me. I was not the one that
was a bad provider for my family....however, it took eight years to sell my
home in that community. Took all my retirement away as I was forced to go
at that time on AFDC and food stamps. Eventually, I found work that was
1-1/2 hour's drive one way and two years at that job until the house sold
and we could move on with our life.

My condolences to every teacher here in such an oppressive system, and all I
can say based upon past experiences is that I am in the know. You have my
thoughts and prayers! Peace,
Larry

---