Re: Prejudice students

---------

From: kimberly herbert (kherbert_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 02 2002 - 19:10:00 PST

    There was an article in the Houston Chronical last week about a program
at our Holocaust Museum. Students (refered by an anti-gang unit) are
assigned a child from Terezin. They illustrate a poem by the child by
creating a paper butterfly to represent the child. The poems were published
in a book called I Never Saw Another Butterfly : Children's Drawings and
Poems from Terezin Concentration Camp 1942-1944. They learn about the
techniques the Nazis used to turn people against their neighbors, how 85% of
the population just stood by and let the horrors happen. In the end they
learn the fate of the child who wrote the poem they illustrated. Of the
15,000 children process through Terezin only 100 survived. The 14,900 died
most at Auschwitz.

    If you are having problems with these students other teachers probably
are also. Maybe you could team up with a Social Studies and or Langauge Arts
teacher to combat this problem.

Kimberly Herbert

---