Re: Trashing art

---------

From: Justin Kramer (justkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 01 2002 - 16:44:28 PST

At first glance I did question this animation and its role like many but
isn't it also playing off a child's imagination of "what if" and the
consequences of "touching", "sneezing on" and "photographing art with a
flash" and being chased by the police as a result.

It might even have its educational role in teaching dada - with mona lisa,
art resoration and preservation - flash photography, the accidential mark
and abstract impressionism/ Tachisme with Jackson Pollock, and even if you
think its not hung straight don't touch - van gogh.

Overall, the only major problem that I have with the animation is its title
- trash art. This is suggesting that all these acts are intentional rather
than unawares interactions and thus being used as an educational tool. Maybe
a sequel with irrate parents, gallery staff, and police and a sobbing child
with "I tought it would look better" and "I did know" would enforce our
message of consequence for action. But lets leave that for the child's
imagination.

A though from the tropics

Justin

P.S. How did you feel when you saw the Mr. Bean movie and what he did with
Whistler's painting? Is it the same?

---