Re: Using Art for Discipline

---------

From: Justin Kramer (justkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 01 2002 - 16:13:37 PST

It has been very interesting for me to read about this issue. I can't say
that I have ever experienced this problem on the other side of the Pacific
ocean. From grades 8 to 12, i.e. 11 - 12 being the seniors, our subject is
treated equal with all the other K.L.A.'s - Key Learning Areas - especially
in regards to time. That is science, maths english and all other classes
have the same contact time as me in art. As for time I see each class for
225 minutes a week regardless of year level.

The only problem that I encounter with students missing time is when they
are out of school on excursions for other subjects. This doesn't happen
regularly but when it does it can greatly inconvience the student as I
insist upon them getting up to speed with the rest of the group. I shouldn't
complain too loudly on this as I'm sure I do the same equal, especially
towards our art expo and art auction where students are out of class for the
whole day setting it up or all-day workshops at the University art campus
engaging in "first year" studio workshops.

Other times that students miss art for internal reason do include
appointments with the school nurse, school based police officer or guidance
officer and these are usually done via classroom teacher approval for
timeout rather than any one taking the stance that their time is more
important - we try to stick to our alloted time and respect what one another
is achieveing with the students.

I'm sure in each case it sounds that the teacher in the other instance is
abusing the situation of your class following theirs and being too lazy to
call them back during recess or a time less convient to them.

I hope all works out

Justin in the tropics

---