Scholars in the Schools

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 02 2002 - 08:24:53 PST

        Teachers and students in the Kansas City area had a very educational
3 days with the Smithsonian's scholars in the schools program.
        http://smithsonianassociates.si.edu/national-outreach/scholars.htm
Our 3 scholars were: Anthony Brown / Jazz, Linda Powell / Reading
through Art,
and Gwendolyn Everett / Harlem Renaissance. On Wednesday, I took my
students
to the restored Gem Theater in the historic 18th and Vine Jazz District.
We saw
original art done for postage stamps of Jazz Musicians. We also stayed
for a
slide lecture on the Harlem Renaissance by Gwen Everett. I had the
pleasure of
escorting Gwen Everett to Kansas City, Kansas High schools the next day.
I got to share the history of my community and see a master teacher work
with diverse groups of students in three of our high schools.
        Wednesday afternoon our district art staff saw a presentation by Linda
Powell on several ways to motivate writing through fine art images. At
the same
time, our music teachers were being entertained and educated by Anthony
Powell on the finer points of Jazz. We all gained a new appreciation for
teaching by seeing these masters at work. Thousands of students in the
wider
metro area also were exposed to these quality people in their fields who had
the skills to impart their vast knowledge and content to young people,
        This was all topped off Thursday night at a dinner in honor of the scholars
at a private home in Mission Hills. Our hosts finalized this great experience
by opening their hearts and home to provide a beautiful closure for all involved.
Every serious teacher in the arts should inquire on how to get this
program into
their area. I know my teaching has improved vastly by the experience.

                                                                                        Woody in KC

--
                       To respond to me privately via E-mail
                           click on  mailto:wduncan@kc.rr.com