nickelodeon

---------

From: wendy free (wendfree_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 02 2002 - 06:23:39 PST

i find it hard to believe that anyone who is a teacher (or who has a heart,
for that matter!) could condone the animation clip of the substitute teacher
having things thrown at her found on the nickelodeon site. to he honest,
that was even more upsetting to me than the destruction of art. i think i
have a great sense of humor and do not take myself too seriously - many
students have complimented me on my "laid back" attitude over the years. i
am unwavering in my belief, however, that cruelty, violence and hurtful
destruction are unacceptable in any form. i think a lot of things are
funny, i love games and can be incredibly silly and goofy BUT i think it is
very wrong to excuse something that is hurtful in the name of humor and to
set this example for our students. if the stuff on the nick site is ok, is
it also ok for students to tell jokes in class which degrade blondes, women,
jocks, rednecks, etc? wouldn't it also be ok if they picked on other kids
because of their weight, religion, and so forth? there are a lot of ways to
be funny without hurting someone. golly, in my book, even fart humor is
better than mean-ness. everybody farts!

wendy

---