Re: blue obsv. thankyou

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 01 2002 - 19:20:58 PST

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526
From: kellym2811@aol.com
Subject: blue obsv. thankyou
Thanks for the kind words everyone. Was feeling very low. Spent some time
reflecting and writing out my thoughts for my post ob. Truely, there were
good things that came from this lesson in retrospect.
degasblue blue ... getting brighter ---

Hi....Just to make you feel better, our principal ENCOURAGES us to try new
lessons when he observes. He likes to see how we will handle disasters,
flops...and I've had several in my career...believe me. As a
seasoned...well...overly seasoned...teacher, experiences teaches you how to
flow with the tide and move into another level smoothly...like saying to the
kids, "Hummm...I thought this would work. I wonder what else we could do
with this lesson...or these materials?" (At least one or two kids usually
have some good ideas.) Or..."Well. I wonder if we could cut these up and
make a collage, mobile, paper sculpture, etc.?" Thinking creatively on your
feet can be fun WITH the kids if you let them become partners with your
creativity. OR...being honest with the students and laugh with them when
things don't gel. It's all in the attitude and comes more easily as you
mature in your teaching. As someone mentioned before...we've A-L-L flopped
before and we will again...if we're willing to risk trying something
new...often.

I'm thinking of one high school teacher in our district who has taught the
SAME thing for over 30 years and has no intention of trying something new.
She never has flops BUT...she never has anything exciting come out of her
classes either. So.....think of yourself as an exciting, creative teacher
who was willing to risk for something fabulous, it didn't work, you learned
something, and you're putting another notch in your teaching belt. I
say.....go for it all! I would go in to your post-interview with the
excitement of the venture and how you could/would change things to make it a
success when you teach it again. I would show lots of enthusiasm for risking
it again and making it work.

I think great enthusiasm for your teaching overplays any flop you have. The
kids are always waiting with smiles on their faces to see what magic thing
you will do next. They are always so "open" for the next venture if you are.
Go get 'em, tiger!

Trust me! One day you will laugh about this. Toodles......Bunki

---