Re: Prejudice students

---------

From: Walter Krueger (wkrueger_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 01 2002 - 18:55:54 PST

Renee:

Our school has a "no harassment policy" -- period. The first person
that tries to harass another student is in front of the principal and
parents. You need to take an aggressive stand. Get the
administrators involved. ASAP!

Not only because "recently" we have seen how "picked-on" students can
suddenly go ballistic and threaten the safety of everybody, but also,
it is simply the right thing to do.

Bullying, harrassing, picking-on, must simply *not* be tolerated.

Well, that's my opinion.

  --Walter Krueger, Arts Educator, Portland OR

At 2:02 PM -0600 3/1/02, Berg, Renee wrote:
> Here is the deal: I have a 7th grade class of 25 boys and 3 girls. I have
>two bullies who have teased my 1 Mormon student and my 3 girls. Last week a
>native American student moved in and now he is getting harassed. I have
>disciplined the bullies and talked till my face is blue.( I always did like
>smurfs) Now my group of harassers is growing, more people are feeding into
>the hatred. I am looking for some lesson suggestions in clay maybe that
>would focus on understanding between different cultures, religions, race,
>sex, etc. It is like they are trying to find things different about each
>other just to nit pick. I
>ve taught 15 years and usually have a handle on discipline, but this is
>nuts. Discipline does not seem to help. They need to face why they act this
>way and why it is not right. I was hoping maybe an art activity could touch
>a few. Any suggestions????
>
>Renee Berg
>6th,7th Art and 8th grade Art Tech
>Mitchell Public Schools