Prejudice students

---------

From: Berg, Renee (Renee.Berg_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 01 2002 - 12:02:17 PST

 Here is the deal: I have a 7th grade class of 25 boys and 3 girls. I have
two bullies who have teased my 1 Mormon student and my 3 girls. Last week a
native American student moved in and now he is getting harassed. I have
disciplined the bullies and talked till my face is blue.( I always did like
smurfs) Now my group of harassers is growing, more people are feeding into
the hatred. I am looking for some lesson suggestions in clay maybe that
would focus on understanding between different cultures, religions, race,
sex, etc. It is like they are trying to find things different about each
other just to nit pick. I
ve taught 15 years and usually have a handle on discipline, but this is
nuts. Discipline does not seem to help. They need to face why they act this
way and why it is not right. I was hoping maybe an art activity could touch
a few. Any suggestions????

Renee Berg
6th,7th Art and 8th grade Art Tech
Mitchell Public Schools