Re: Troubled Student

---------

Iteachart7_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Fri Mar 01 2002 - 07:55:46 PST

In a message dated 2/28/02 11:54:41 PM Eastern Standard Time, Madafo@aol.com
writes:

> I have a situation I need advise on. I have a student how has learned that
> his father has cancer and has quite doing his work. He just doesn't feel
> like working, which is very understandable. Do I excuse him form the work
> or let him make up the work and hand it in late? I was thinking of
> excusing him from the work we are doing but have him do a picture of how he
> was feeling about this toubled time in his life instead. If anyone have
> some advise please pass it along.
>
> Blessings

Dear Joe,
I'm sure you've recieved plenty of advice on what to do with your student
but, I would like to share what worked for me. Writing. When my mother was
diagnosed with lung cancer, I was beside myself. Drawing and creating are
thing I do on a daily basis, but everytime I tried to "work" my way through
it, I threw it away or crumpled it up or slashed threw it ( I had a lot to
work out). I started writing. First, the anger at my mom for smoking at the
tobacco companies, doctors for not finding it fast enough all came pouring
out. Then I started writing down all the great things I admired my mom for,
things we did together, things I got away with as a teen, It was very healing
for me and my mom. I began reading my journal to her about aweek before she
died. I cried and laughed. It was a great way to say good-bye. A lot of the
work I do know I attribute to the way I got to say good bye to my mom.
thanks for letting me share.
Peace
Gabrielle

---