lottery as funding

---------

From: Foell, Marlyn_at_TeacherArtExchange (Marlyn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 01 2002 - 06:23:58 PST

The State of Florida spends LESS per pupil now than they did BEFORE the
lottery, and this has been the case for years. We're in the middle of a
major shortfall now, and many teachers will lose jobs; classes will be
larger; budgets are being cut drastically. In my own personal case, after
over 25 years of experience, my raise this year was a minus. Our insurance
raised and my "raise" wasn't enough to cover it. Bottom line? I make less
in my paycheck this year than last. AND I made absolutely no changes in my
coverages or deductions.

Floridians and many other states' residences have been sold a bill of goods
that the lotteries would "enhance" education. While it has added
scholarships and some other small things, what is added up front is chopped
off tenfold in the back.

Marlyn Foell
Art Dept.
RHS--Contributing Excellence to Our Community

---