Re: Anger management

---------

From: JDecker (JDecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 31 2001 - 07:37:30 PST

I am reading this excellent post about anger management...words I could have
said myself (only not as eloquently)....and then I get to the bottom....and
of course it is signed Larry! (I am a digest person...and find myself just
scanning and I missed His name at the top of the post)

>Then you've got ex NFL guys pretending to rip each other's faces
>off

Fortunately the NFL is going to do something about this. There is now going
to be a 15 yard penalty (or enforced if it was already in place) and a
personal fine to the player. I do not remember how much the fine is.
I have a little sixth grader who showed this "football" kind of angry face
and almost hit me as I pulled him away from another student. I looked him
right in the eyes and told him it wouldn't do him any good to hit me. So far
the student has been fine after he came back from a five day suspension (the
boy who instigated the fight is still causing trouble--trying to get my SBH
student riled up....which I have to deal with).

About referrals.....Now if the school suggests counseling (in our
area)...the
schools have to pay for the services. This has administrators and teachers
walking on "egg shells". I have suggested to one parent that she have her
son talk to the minister of the church he sometimes attends. That service is
free. (To cover myself, I got permission from my administrator since the
student frequently told me he was "Christian" and went to church. Then I
called his mother. She did tell me her son was always better for a while
after he had attended the church.)

For those of you wanting advice on how to deal with angry children (at least
you can do what is best for your own little environment) I would suggest
contacting Lawrence Parker (a former Getty list member). This is the last
e-mail address I have for him: occti@acorn.net . Lawrence has had some sound
advice for me that as helped me in my teaching.

Judy Decker

---