Re: Soda Ash?

---------

From: Michelle Lowe (mishlowe_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 31 2001 - 08:30:32 PST

At 03:02 PM 3/31/2001 -0000, you wrote:

>I recently requested advice for sure-thing tie-dye methods. Many of you
>offered valuable information...But now I'm wondering...WHAT exactly is soda
>ash, and WHERE do I find it?

Soda Ash can be gotten from the Dharma Trading Company, mentioned earlier-
http://www.dharmatrading.com

It is a chemical used to fix the dye, and also commonly used in glaze
materials.
By the way, if you are doing a lot of dying, it's cheaper to buy it from
the local pottery supply (or maybe a friendly potter in the area?).

Here's a definition-
Soda Ash (from _The Potter's Dictionary of Materials and Techniques_
Frank and Janet Hamer)-
Sodium Carbonate Na2CO3, Originally the ashes of burnt sea plants. Now the
term is synonymous with sodium carbonate, although this is produced from
sodium chloride (NaCl) rock salt by the Solvay process.
Michelle Lowe, potter in the Phoenix desert
 \|/ | mishlowe@amug.org
 -O- | | Mishy@desertdragonpottery.com
 /|\ | | |
       |_|_| www.amug.org/~mishlowe