Re: Anger Management

---------

From: S Krause (frostyoranges_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 30 2001 - 19:37:01 PST

Wow, Paulette -
Kudos for keeping calm. That poor child - it's sometimes so difficult to
keep that perspective when kids are punching other kids and threatening you
with chairs. Third grade? That's tragic. She must come from a home life
filled with anger and abuse. Granted, she should be suspended or otherwise
punished for that kind of behavior - but I'm curious, is the administration
doing anything to help her with anger management, sending her to counseling,
getting her a Big Sister, ANYTHING besides suspending her? Since, after 2
times already, it's clearly not a deterrent.
Stephanie

>Yesterday I had a child take a chair to my head. It was the last class of
the day and she had answered my telling her to be quiet (for about the 6th
time) with, "God gave me a mouth so I could <EM>speak</EM>, not so I could
be quiet." When she kept going on, I decided that I'd fill out a weekly
report form for the classroom teacher to send home. She then threatened to
<EM>beat </EM>anyone who would help me find said slips. When she actually
got up and slugged a girl, I told her I was going to call the office to call
home, etc. She very calmly got up and walked across the room, grabbed a full
size wooden chair and hoisted it <EM>over her head </EM>and came at me. She
got about 10 inches away and said, "Go ahead, CALL the office!"

---