Re: sketchbooks and journaling

---------

From: Heather Leal (rayleal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 30 2001 - 18:01:04 PST

I teach middle school and give 2 homework sketching assignments a week. Each
sketch gets just a few sentences or a short paragraph written on it talking
about the sketch, what it means, why they drew it, what they think of the
drawing, that sort of thing. I give all sorts of different sketching
assignments, some very structured, some very open to interpretation and choice.
I don't grade the writing on correctness though- more content and effort. I
check off that homework is done on time, just a check mark and turn it into a
letter grade at grading period time based on the percentage turned in on time.
I also collect the sketchbook every two to three weeks and give those
assignments one cumulative letter grade based on the quality of the work and
effort. That way a sketchbook grade is about equal to a project grade.
Heather

"Lea, Robin" wrote:

> Thanks so much to those of you who sent me info on journaling.

---