RE: anger management

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kimberly_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 30 2001 - 16:22:32 PST

If the parents will not accept other help, like placement in an ED unit, I
agree the best way to protect others is to start pressing charges.

The small school cooperative here pools resources to serve special needs
students. I worked as a sub at the school that housed the ED unit. Most of
these kids had been abused and were currently in foster care or adoptive
homes. They had a skilled teachers trained to deal with them including
physical violence. They actually had 2 padded rooms for children who became
violent. These rooms were very large and were there for the safety of the
students. The one from the elementary students was only used for naps, or
when a child was stressed and asked for some quite time. I never saw that
door locked. The kids who enter in lower elementary do very well, are often
mainstreamed fully by 4th - 5th grade.

The older unit had more violent students (often because they had not
received help earlier). They used the room more frequently. I still saw
great results from the JH unit. When mainstreamed the former ED kids at the
JH level, were much more mature and centered than their classmates. They
could verbalize their frustration and were more comfortable asking for help
both academically and with social interaction. Their request for help were
often very specific about what they did and did not understand and were for
clarification not the do it for me request I heard from "normal" classmates.

All the children also receive intensive counseling provided by the county
health or protective services. (I'm not sure which). They still could
receive counseling after being mainstreamed, on an as needed basis
especially if the abuse was sexual.

Kimberly Herbert (kimberly@wcc.net)
CAM Administrator