oil pastels and baby oil???

---------

From: Susan Holland (Susan_Holland_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 30 2001 - 16:18:16 PST

I am needing some more help with the idea of using oil pastels to do
Impressionist style landscapes. Several people gave me suggestions about using
baby oil with the pastels. I tried mineral oil, which I had on hand, but
wasn't able to get much to happen. I used a q-tip and tried blending or
brushing oil into the pastel. It will dissolve the pastel a bit- but it also
soaks into the paper- seems like I need to size the paper first(?) Someone
else suggested paint thinner, but I think that will be too smelly in my
unventilated room. Is anyone willing to give me some more specific directions
on what to do?
Thanks.

Susan Holland
Visual Art Studies