anger management

---------

From: Fields, Linda (fieldsl_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 30 2001 - 10:27:02 PST

I agree in philosophy with the responses to Paulette's situation. However, I
really feel that Paulette should press assault charges even though this is a
young child. That may be the only way to get her the help she so desperately
needs-obviously the parents aren't going to do it. If the child doesn't
receive help-and soon- the next time Paulette, or another teacher or child,
could be seriously hurt or worse. All the reasons and excuses in the world
don't protect flesh and blood from harm. Several years ago I faced a similar
situation, only with a high school boy. I pressed charges-one among many on
his record. A few months later he was convicted and imprisoned for murder. I
am not normally frightened by children of any age, but this one, for some
reason known only in my gut, I felt threatened by this one (even before he
picked up the chair.) We teachers can't do this alone-the courts and the
rest of society must get involved. Meanwhile, it is our obligation to
protect the rest of the children in our classroom-and ourselves. Paulette
has my sympathy and my empathy. BTW-the first item listed in the job
description for a North Carolina teacher is maintain order. Protecting the
health of the child is second or third-teaching is fourth. Interesting, huh?
Linda in NC

---