Anger Management

---------

From: Paulette Keck (tcsfp_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 29 2001 - 18:24:36 PST

Yesterday I had a child take a chair to my head. It was the last class of the day and she had answered my telling her to be quiet (for about the 6th time) with, "God gave me a mouth so I could speak, not so I could be quiet." When she kept going on, I decided that I'd fill out a weekly report form for the classroom teacher to send home. She then threatened to beat anyone who would help me find said slips. When she actually got up and slugged a girl, I told her I was going to call the office to call home, etc. She very calmly got up and walked across the room, grabbed a full size wooden chair and hoisted it over her head and came at me. She got about 10 inches away and said, "Go ahead, CALL the office!"  As she was starting to draw back to get some good force, I was finally speaking with someone in the office and said that if it hit me I'd press charges. This helped her change her mind and she put the chair to the side and started yelling! in my face. It was so surreal and I stayed pretty outwardly calm throughout the entire experience. Anyway, the end result is that she's suspended. For the third time this year. And she's in the third grade.

(I found out that last year she gave a teacher a black eye. Guess I'm lucky.) I'm not telling this story to complain, but because I'm now ready to fully admit that teaching in New York City is harder than teaching in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks,

Paulette