Re: journaling in sketchbooks

---------

From: Ellen Taylor (Eat.Taylor_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 29 2001 - 18:12:17 PST

Robin,
Since writing is a big part of our school improvement plan, I have my students in my 7th grade Exploring Art classes, and the 8th and 9th graders in the Introduction to Art classes journal weekly. I post a series of questions that cover a full quarter (7th grade) or semester (8th&9th grade) and students have a copy. They are to be turned in on a weekly basis, and are very open-ended (such as "Do you prefer 2-D or 3-D art, and why?, "Why do you think Mrs. Taylor became an art teacher?", "If you could erect a sculpture in front of the school, what would it look like ?", etc.). I require a minimum of 50 words, and offer extra credit for 100 words or over. My school is identified as an at-risk school, and so for some of my students (lots of ESL), 50 words is a big deal.
I love reading their responses- they are so revealing !
Ellen Taylor
Oregon Trail Junior High
Olathe, KS.